Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homemade Bread

A while back I bought some ultra cute felt food patterns from Bugga Bugs. I thought it would be a great way to encourage the boys' kitchen play. They love mixing and stirring and baking, pretend and for real.


It is also a great way to challenge my beginner sewing skills! Challenge 1: I have not done any machine sewing with felt before, and only a little bit of hand sewing. I wondered a lot about what needle size and thread would be ok. I looked in the sewing machine manual and googled, but I didn't find any answers. So I figured I'd just use the standard needle and whatever thread was the best colour match. Luckily that seemed to work ok!


Next challenge: how to sew curves? That one was pretty straight forward. It was very easy to find videos on the net. And it seemed to boil down to stop with the needle in the fabric, rotate the fabric and sew a bit more.


Final challenge: following a very well-written pattern without enough (any?) basic sewing knowledge. When it came time to turn the bread right-side out I just couldn't make sense of how to sew it up. I was majorly stuck. So I emailed Annika from Bugga Bugs asking for some advice. She was so lovely. Not only did she explain how to hand sew the rest of it, but she was so reassuring and encouraging too, and told me a useful sewing tip: "Things don't always have to be perfect to be wonderful". Isn't that sweet?


Now I am just waiting on a bit of spare time and I'll give it another go...

1 comment:

  1. I want to make some play felt food for Zoe too - too cute!

    ReplyDelete